Saturday, December 22, 2007

Reactions are Mixed...am I surprized?


The reaction to my announcement of this adventure is, to say, MIXED as you can imagine. The support is still strong at home...and also at the store...but there it varies slightly...one person thought I had stood up too quickly and the blood had never returned to the brain...but they were pleasant about it. Another was eager to hear all about it. Several have mixed thoughts...and one co-worker when I told him the news asked me if I had lost a bet to someone.
Many have suggested medical treatment for obvious reasons...also in a nice way.

Although its supposed to be +4C here at home today and it is the first day of winter officially...the longest day of the year in this hemisphere. At the Arctic Circle the sun should be below the horizon all day long. There will be light there but no direct sun...that's the official version for "the land of the midnight sun" for the summer solstice at least

I'll be at 62°48'56.06"N Latitude but still about 4 degrees south of the Arctic Circle with Longitude as 92° 4'55.09"W. Get those globes out or visit (http://earth.google.com/) and put the world in perspective as they say. This is a far cry from our house at 43°37"01.83' North Latitude and 79°07'15.78"West Longitude in Niagara.

The closest settlement that I can find so far is Whale Cove to the southwest about 80 kilometers. We are approximately 400 kilometers south of the famous Distant Early Warning (or DEW) Line Early warning system established in the fifties during the tensest part early in the cold war. In fact Dewline Line Radar sites CAM-D and CAM 3 are almost due North. Many interesting photos about its history and construction are available here http://www.lswilson.ca/cam3.htm Check it out. For the whole story http://www.lswilson.ca/dewline.htm It was officially working fifty years ago. I was seven at the time...ouch.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Way to go Bob.
I'm impressed.
-24 isn't to bad if you are not outside for to long!!!
LOL
Let me know what it's like.
Maybe I'll have to try it sometime.

Unknown said...

I think you'll appreciate Myrtle Beach a little bit more. Really though, Good Luck and have fun!!!!

dbelitski said...

Have a great time Bob Watch out for those hungry polar bears you look very appetizing in that yellow jacket!!!!!!!!!!!