Wednesday, December 26, 2007

A WEEK AWAY


The adventure begins next Wednesday. Only seven more sleeps as my niece would say as she counted down to Santa’s arrival yesterday.

The weather continues to be a main question. Will the air be as dry as they say? How much snow actually falls or does it just blow in the wind? The temp here at home is currently hovering around 0 and they predict a high today of +5 (a far cry from last weeks howling storm that dropped about 14 inches which was good prep for me!)

Unlike our snow here which is usually wet (and great for snowballs and packing), apparently the snow there is more granular like course beach sand. It drifts so I am told. I’ll let you know.

My wife’s concern is my keeping warm. My outside clothing, I hope, will meet the need. A goose-down coat with hood and thinsulate face mask. A balaclava that looks like it came from the nights of the roundtable. Thinsulate gloves that fit inside big wind mitts. Overpants to break that wind and those black Sorel boots…good to minus 60F (-52C). I will probably take a half hour just to dress for work in the morning.

New flannel shirts, some long johns with high tech design, and a new fleece jacket complete the outfit. Will it be enough? Only time will tell. There are still more questions racing around in my head. They will have to wait. It’s Boxing Day here in Canada and I’m at the store til 6. Those gifts cards will be burning holes in peoples pockets!

No comments: