Saturday, December 29, 2007

NO PASSPORT NEEDED

Heading off to an adventure in your own country requires some planning. I've only had three weeks on this one... and with the christmas season, well it' s been hectic. The good news is for this trip I won't need my passport.


I got a new one about three years ago. We both needed new ones. So long before this current wave of rush and stand in line processing that we currently have, we applied for our renewals(now you can get credit for those previously held). They arrived and we went on a cruise to the mediterranean...Barcelona to Rome with 4 countries involved. Each way we flew into Heathrow with Toronto as our start and finish. Inspections and security were tight all the way, remember Italy was prepping for the Torino Olympics.

Last May we were fortunate to travel through the Panama canal on a cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Vancouver, with air travel starting in Buffalo and ending in Toronto. Total country involvement was 5 (including three inspections in various parts of the US). It wasn't until we arrived in Vancouver than the Canadian Immigration people noticed that our passports had never been signed. That quick observsation caused us to changed our ways. We used our pens and signed them there.


Now going to Rankin Inlet, I won't need a passport. For this trip I'm not taking mine. I don't think security will be as tight for people going that far north in early January. Instead, just in case, I'm taking my Costco card.

1 comment:

Kanina said...

Hi Bob,
I want to wish you and Grace a great 2008. If I don't chat with you before you leave, I want you to know you will be in our thoughts and prayers and we hope you have a great adventure. Can't wait for your posts from the frozen north. Enjoy your new job, and may Grace enjoy her time on her own. Take care, KK