Sunday, January 6, 2008

Any Port in a Storm






















If you’ve checked the weather here today and that predicted for Monday, using the quicklink available on his blog, you will notice that we have a blizzard warning. That continues for tomorrow as well. They tell me that when a storm system moves in here it can last a few days.

So tomorrow we may have a blizzard day off from work. Only time will tell. I really don’t know how they can tell the difference since the snow has been blowing here at various times as bad as today, I guess just not as long. There is good news however, since our parking lot was plowed today. More accurately it was front-end unloaded. I think they are used more than any plows.

At home you would see all kinds of trucks driving around with plows attached. Here all kinds of trucks but no plows exist. I see that the weather back home has warmed and may go double digits this week. Our weather here has warmed and is in the double digits as well….the minus is still understood!

While this storm has been winding down, the snow machines and trucks have been driving by. It’s like being on a lake in the summer with the different sounds of motors going by, I’m sure the locals recognize their “boats” accordingly. In the apartment, it’s been warm and cozy. In fact, I had to buy a short-sleeved T shirt since everything else I brought was too warm to wear inside our building that everyone in town knows as “the Barn”.

The two-story apartment is located in a building containing four, each with its own snow entrance. The door on it has shifted and doesn’t close hence the snow drifts in it all the time. There is a shovel handy. I gave up trying to shovel the porch steps three days ago. You just climb overtop of what’s there. The snow is not icy just extremely crunchy underfoot.

The upstairs has a living, dining and kitchen, fully equipped with microwave, toaster, coffee maker, fridge and stove. Couch, chair, end tables, buffet hutch and oak dining table with four chairs complete the furnishings along with cabled TV.

Downstairs in the main entrance is the peg wall so common in these parts. By the time you hang your parka, overpants, gloves, wind mitts, face shield and balaclava, there are few pegs left. The boot tray is on the other side. Down the hall are washer, dryer and back entrance. Two bedrooms and bath complete the lower floor. The floors are carpeted except for the flooring in the kitchen and dining room. The view waking upstair through my dining room window is of the INUKSUK...today covered with the blowing snow and with the ravens flying about.

The walls appear about 16 inches thick and the few windows are 14x 24 inches as well. Thermostats are located both top and bottom floors that control the hot water heat. The hot water in the kitchen and bath arrives very quickly. I haven’t found out where the tank is located…some things are better when they are unknown. Bedding is provided and must be washed and folded ready to be used when I leave in two weeks. The same hold true for the entire apartment. I must clean the floors and have everything like it was when I moved in…which was spotless. There is an iron and board here….I don’t think I’ll use it much.

There is a notice posted that has contact numbers should maintenance be required or anything breaks or is faulty. It welcomes me to Barn Unit 506 and lists my phone number. It further states “Feel free to use and leave behind non-perishable foods or items for the next guest”. I got two kinds of mustard, honey, all kinds if spices and dish and laundry soaps. There’s other stuff here…it was like Christmas all over again without the wrapping paper. The bear jam I picked up today at breakfast. The cost of my apartment is also in the contract...still in Iqaluit.

1 comment:

lauren&steve said...

Hey Bob,

Very interesting reading. We feel like we are reading a really good book, and can't wait to read more tomorrow.

Take care of your self,
Lauren, Steve, Matthew and Brian