Monday, January 7, 2008

Observations about the Inlet





































The cookies are going quickly. When I got called in on Saturday and signed in on the computer, the Inuit word of the day was “SIVALAAQ” (Pat, can I buy an “A”?). This also means biscuit or cookie but from a dialect called North Baffin. It is quite intriguing that the locals can speak the language and also the various dialects as needed. I’ve also worked with quite a few different translators over the past three days. My Inuktitut has definitely improved, I think.

Mondays are elder’s day at the Co-op so I plan to go there after work. Their discounts are 10 percent to everyone over 55. I hope my Costco card gets the “deals”. I have to check out their baking section. I found muffin mix the other day at the Northern (just add egg whites). I picked it up and the muffin papers. By the time I was finished at the fur section in notions and checked out in line, the mix was no longer a purchased object. So the senior’s…oops elder’s discount may be appropriate in this case.

I’ve been here since Wednesday and the garbage in everyone’s barrels alongside the roads has increased. I asked when I should put mine out for pick and was told they get to it when they can. Strange thing here is that for the number of dogs around, I have yet to see one running at large. Likewise, the number of green bags in and outside the barrels has increased as well…also no mess. There are no recycling blue boxes here. They would have blown away years ago, if implemented. Any paper is put to use for heat, I’m assuming.

Anything shipped up here and arrives that contains a wooden frame has someone standing in line for the packing before the object is uncrated. It was very similar back at SCGH at Christmas time. Since pop is so expensive, those 2 litre bottles are few and far between.

What you don’t see here is everyone walking about with water bottles in their hands. First, they would be solid by the end of the block and they would also cause their hands to freeze as well. Bottled water is not something that I noticed either in the store this week. Tomorrow I will check it out. With the cost of shipping and the weight involved, I would not expect to see bottled water except for the tourists coming this summer.

At the breakfast yesterday, a large glass of water was supplied for each guest without asking. It was a pleasant change from home. The humidity inside buildings is so dry that I find myself drinking more water. It also accompanies most distilled beverages.

Other things that you don’t see are those instant messaging devices or ears locked to cell phones, blue tooth or otherwise. Maybe that’s something that we should look into, after all the median age here is 22.2 years. They wouldn’t hear the beeping or the ringing with the wind, snow machines and quads driving about. Oh, they could still use vibrate unless, of course, they were in a meeting. Just kidding when I checked my cell phone this morning it was still looking for a network.

No comments: