Sunday, January 6, 2008

Sunday Breakfast











There is something special about having a leisurely Sunday breakfast with friends in a small café. We ended up, not at the Red Top, nor the Sugar Rush, nor the CoOp but at the Siniktarvik Hotel and Conference Centre. Endless cups of coffee, decaf please, and the stories and history of the living in this area made this one even more special. Linda had asked me If I wanted to join the group along with her daughter, Kristen, who is heading back to Baker Lake to restart work tomorrow (if she can fly out with this blizzard). My neighbours, Cole and Julie were also there since Julie was the driver. Cole just wanted the bear jam (see the attached photo).

It was only last Wednesday that my brother and I met in Toronto before I “shipped” out. He had picked me up at the airport once I had checked my luggage and we headed down the road to Zazi’s Place at the Econo Lodge Inn along the airport strip, not by choice but because it had a sign in the window that said OPEN. Since I was flying in Canada and didn’t know when my next meal would be, I had the Zazi Deluxe for $8.95. The home fries weren’t available that day since it was just the early hours of a new year. We shared some stories and had a good laugh or two before I was back to the airport and heading off.

That kept me going for a bout five hours until I had a couple of bowls of seafood chowder in the Air Canada Lounge in Winnipeg along with a Blue. That kept me going until I had the deluxe Calm Air ham sandwich while enroute from Churchill to Arviat.

I had a coffee and a cookie on the earlier leg, courtesy of Calm Air . By the time we were heading into Churchill nature was calling. I didn’t know if we were going to disembark at Churchill or just waiting onboard. I decided that I better use the “head” before we landed. So I went forward, DID THE DEED, then turned to wash my hands. At this point you could tell we were in the Arctic. The sink was filled with packets of handiwipes…no water here to freeze. I grabbed a few extras just I case I might need them later.

Today, with the Hungry Man Special I did get an extra bread, bacon and sausage. What cost me $8.95 in T.O., today at the Siniktarvik cost me $18.95 but the snow seemed fresher here. Snow capped deckchairs, a patio area completely obliterated by drifts and frost on everything from the windows to the bank of transformers sitting above, somehow made it all seem worth it.

BTW my chocolate chip cookies baked up nice and taste terrific. The current blizzard outside will be here today and tomorrow. The wind is howling but it seems to do that a lot here this time of year. Inside we are toasty warm and ready to watch the NFL football playoffs (since it appears that I missed the gold medal hockey game yesterday afternoon)…well this is the north!

4 comments:

dbelitski said...

Hey Bob keep warm It sounds like the people are wonderful Love reading your blog
Hugs Di

dianne said...

Hi Bob!!
Glad to hear you are enjoying the local color! You know, if you want a decent look at the landscape, weather.com can find Rankin Inlet and you can activate the motion satellite display.
Much love,
Dianne

dianne said...

Also, your blog is quite the learning experience! I am really enjoying it , especially the photos! How 'bout some pics of your accomodations indoors or of your workspace? And what about those fancy boots and papoose jackets you mention? The breakfast looked quite filling and I bet you ate every bite!!
Dianne;)

Jack and Ruth Anne said...

Hey Briggs,
Looks like you found your true calling "Blogging Briggs". Glad to hear about all your experiences in the true great white north. All along I thought it was Sudbury.
Ruth Anne and I are enjoying the posts and pics.
See you soon,
Jack and Ruth Anne