Tuesday, January 22, 2008

THE BLIZZARD of ‘08





























This is Monday January 21. I was to land yesterday in Toronto. Toronto is currently a jigsaw puzzle hung above my couch at the “barn” Unit 506. I am resting comfortably here in Rankin Inlet. It’s 5 p.m. and I’m waiting for some co workers to head out for some chow.

To those survivors of the Blizzard of ’77 in Niagara, this has been a similar occurrence with one great big exception. This one lasted longer but the same rules apply. You hunker down and ride it out. Here everyone drives around in a snow machine or four wheel drive most of the time anyway. We had four cars at the same time at the four way stop the other night and everyone took their turn. Patience is something you learn here quickly.

You wait for people to get dressed. You wait for cars to warm up in the morning. You wait for the taxi. He picks up several fares at the same time and drops you off when he gets close to your destination. He may have dropped some others that came in after you first, but you are patient. You line up at the airline counter, you wait while flights are checked, rescheduled and cancelled all over again. It’s a five minute car run to the airport terminal. The drifts around it are 15 feet tall.

Even the lineups in the grocery stores and banking machines are social events. I was recognized last week standing in line at the bank’s insta-teller. She told me you work at the health centre, I recognize your coat. In a town of three thousand, word travels fast. Just because you are inside doesn’t mean that people don’t communicate. They do. They phone and talk and walk to each others houses since they get a northern cabin fever. Eventually tired of their spouses, kids, dogs, etc., they come back to work.

It’s been a busy day. The health centre re-opened today, after being officially closed for this storm since last Wednesday morning. This storm moved in on Tuesday and the last four blog stories were written at the beginning of this event. Much has happened so it’s time for sharing. The CBC finally put us on the map about midday on Thursday reporting severe weather conditions…yeah we had them so we sent them south! Want to borrow some mitts?

I arrived at the health centre this morning with my Nunavut Territory flag for all to sign as a memento of my “excursion”. I had baked muffins on Thursday night to take to work Friday in appreciation for their efforts and help during my stay here. Let’s just say that since work friday was cancelled there were about half the number of muffins that there should have been…but it was the thought that counted. I also had some chocolates.

I was outdone by John, the lab tech. He brought in some delicious looking Belgian. Sweets…I kept my control and left them for the staff. They love their sweets. At morning coffee, I thanked those that were present for making my first trip north such a warm memory and told them that my flight home was 4 p.m. and I was heading home one day late.

I heard Alice mumble something in Inuktitut. I asked what she said as she shook her head from side to side. “Not tomorrow either” she repeated in English. I’ll let you know if Alice should get hired by Environment Canada. My four p.m. got cancelled. I got rescheduled for the 5:45 that at 4:30 got cancelled. I’ll keep you posted on the delayed departure. I’m now on the 4 p.m. Tuesday. In the meantime, you really can appreciate the snow and wind howling from some shots I was able to take around the medical centre at noon. You can compare them with the ones taken a couple of weeks ago and see the difference yourselves.

In the meantime stay warm…we are. Check the weather link…and remember, we are one day closer to spring.

1 comment:

Vientos del Pueblo said...

Frio,desde Getafe, Madrid, España, saludos