Saturday, January 19, 2008

R.I. ART




























Coming up here I had little time to prepare for the art that I’ve seen. Often times, through the day, carvers and handcrafters arrive at the health centre to sell their wares. The receptionist is heard over the intercom…carvers are here…mitts for sale front desk. Everything arrives in stages from fired pots, stone carvings, mitts and dolls.


His name is Sam Gusak but you may have met him by his signed name “Yvo” . Sam brought in two large pots, one decorated with faces and the other creatures of the sea. I thought we were into a mud wrestling scenario in the front lobby as two women were more than interested. I took his photo and looked over the booty.

I also met Kelly there. He’s from Baffin. He’s a carver. He gets his soapstone from the local coop. What he does with it is something else again.When I first met him he showed me a mask that he had done, dark black stone with a menacing stare. It was a wall hanging. Very nicely polished and finished. He looked disappointed when I told him that walls at home were mostly covered and I had little space left to hang things. It was a neat piece of work but I really couldn’t take it from him.

Not to be outdone, he arrived two nights later to my apartment. Many carvers stop by since they know many of the people staying in the Barn are “short termers”. Some people ignore the faint knocks at night, but this is new to me. I am curious so I open the door. I introduce myself as they tell me what they have to sell. You have to remember that many of the locals don’t lock their doors here, no one knocks and you are expected to walk in before you knock. So with some reluctance, I feel safe.

Kelly is there carrying another mask carving in his hand, signed and dated. It’s quite nice again dark stone with open nostrils and mouth and eyes. He tells me it took him a full day to make this one. He has a twist with this shaman mask though. This one stands on its own.

He just reduced my reason for not buying. Him, his girlfriend and daughter all live here year round. Originally from Pond Inlet he tells me he’s been in Rankin for about 9 years now. We talk price. I don’t haggle, his work is top notch in my limited opinion. I’ll know later when I show one of the “short termers that stayed” if I got a good deal. Before he heads out into the night, I ask if I can take his photo. He agrees. We do it.

I show the piece around and the general consensus is that it’s unique since no one has seen a self standing mask before, the quality of stone is good and the carving is finished nicely. I’ve got a good deal.

Two nights later, Kelly arrives again. In his hand is….another mask. I can still smell the grindstone burning smell. This one has taken another day plus to finish. This time the mask has a similar shaman theme but on angle with a “phantom of the opera” type side style. Again, it stands on its own. We talk. We deal. I tell him no more. I can’t carry anything more in my luggage. We both laugh. For me it’s true. For him it may mean the difference of food on his table.

The caribou antler carvers have also arrived. One knows me by name having been in for xrays. The cold wind is blowing outside and I invite her inside to warm, even though I really don’t like this particular carving. I tell her no and she tells me a sob story. I offer her coffee. From the kitchen, I ask how she likes it….eight sugars she says…I tell her four is the max is this house. And then start to heat it in the microwave. She tells me she wants it cold. The hot liquid will cause her to sweat and later I realize that could be fatal in this cold. She takes four quick gulps and then is off in the night, to other doors…for possible sales.

No comments: