Thursday, January 3, 2008

First full day In Rankin Inlet
















It’s seven o’clock local time. I’ve just finished supper and it’s dark outside. Well it’s been dark since about three thirty. For those of you who wondered how my first day went…let’s just say I’ve never been welcomed so much…and it lasted the entire morning. It was national Lumbar Spine day here in R.I. and that’s the good news.

Since I landed yesterday the wind has been howling and the snow has been blowing. I did see a snow plow in the distance…but I think they use front end loaders here more for the drifts. In the glow of orange street lights the eerie haze of buildings could be seen intermittently when I got up this a.m. It continued all day long. Tonight, when we left the Health Centre and went to the “Northern” for milk and bread (and a free calendar), the wind had slowed. The sky had seemed to clear. I can now see clearly from the second story windows.

I got a ride here into work this morning. It’s cold here and the ride from my neighbour Julie (and navigator Cole) was appreciated. It’s only about a five minute hike to the centre for work…but which direction still eludes me at times. There is a lake in the centre of town and the roads are all snow covered. There is a lake in the centre of town and the roads are all snow covered. Every time I’m in a vehicle they go a different route...and there is no CAA office to get a map.

At the KILLIVAQ HEALTH CENTRE, everyone wanted to meet the “new” person. With a series of “have you been North before?” “when did you get here?” and the list of now familiar questions continued. They haven’t had a tech for a couple of weeks now…so most patients were returning today. So with a quick introduction to the lab\xray receptionist, I scouted the department…nice new equipment with film processing and a fluoro/rad table. There is also a portable parked in the corner that I will check out tomorrow. Upright bucky and phototiming complete the picture, so to speak. Oh and ER is right next door to my xray room. (Notice how possessive we become so quickly!)

The entire medical centre is only a couple of years old. This Health Centre was being completed when the old one had a fire and they were fortunate to be able to move over real fast. It serves as a midwife teaching facility and last year they had 55 births. Family is very important to the people here and the entire family involves itself in the birthing. (another note will happen later about that).

The first patients were what I expected to happen. An eighty year old female Inuit who has been having bad back pain since visiting relatives in Iqaluit over Christmas. The second a lady who injured her shoulder while dog sledding on the weekend. People here in the north are very resourceful. She came equipped with an internet printout for AC dislocation with a description of the various stages…diagrams and all. I should have kept it and may call her later to drop off a copy. Unfortunately, I didn’t have the time to read the articles. There were more spines and ankles and knees to be done.

I have seen more different styles of boots since arriving. Mine fit right in except they have no seal fur cuffs…yet. Felt style boots that don’t look like they would stay dry let alone keep feet warm. Colours, embroidery and lacings that are intriguing as well. You have to be observant.

Also, I have seen more babies transported in the only way I know to describe it…as papooses. I’ll get the correct Inuit word…and some photos to boot. The kids look warm and comfortable…being carried on their mom’s backs. Rosy cheeks are everywhere and the locals today were complaining about how cold it was. Little did they know that that same wind we had yesterday was bringing down the temperatures back at my home town. So now you know where those cold blasts come from….Your temperatures in Niagara should rise the next few weeks since there is now a hot air generator living in Rankin Inlet. He leaves on the 20th.

The trip into the “northern” was an experience. It has everything from groceries to snowmobiles, hardware, clothing and furniture. I’ll post a photo of what twenty bucks can buy you. The change is also shown. For January, my free calendar has a great recipe for Caribou stew and a great sunset photo Baker Lake.

Our patients are flown in for their xrays and other medical services not provided in the other communities. We service the communities of Baker Lake, Resolute, Chesterfield, Whale Cove, Arviat, and of course Rankin Inlet. I know I’ve left out some others…we’ll make it up later. My last patient arrived off the plane heading south from Baker Lake. She had her films and physician consult and was on their way back on the next flight north. They may stay over tonight and visit with relatives or friends since they are already here. Such is life in the “north”.

No comments: