Friday, January 4, 2008

Rankin Inlet's' Native sons









Rankin Day 2 morning

Just spent my first night on call and I haven’t done that in 20 years plus. No calls. But tonight is Friday and who knows what will happen. In all the meetings and “welcome to Rankin Inlet(s)” of yesterday, I am finding out lots about this hamlet.

It looks crisp this morning with the winds light going from left to right out my front window. I haven't seen a sun rise nor set so I don't know which way is up...nothing much has changed by coming north. Last night after the snow blowing stopped and the dishes from supper were put away I looked out my dining room window and found the great “inuksuk” perched not 100 yards away. That’s the famous marker centrally located here in town and soon to be more famous as one symbol used for Vancouver 2010.

The other window shows a sight far more Canadian eh? The snow covered transport machines and a propane grill. Gotta love it.

The famous stories go on. Apparently Peter Gzowski, of CBC fame, visited here years ago and talked to a young man working at the airport. The story goes that he told him “you have a great voice and should be in broadcasting”. That’s the news anyways. Oh, and this young fellow’s name was Peter Mansbridge. Also the new terminal building for those keeping score has two gates for boarding.

My second tale today is of a more recent son still working hard to achieve his professional goals. Barney works at the centre for the firm that handles property management. I was told this by the acting director when she met me Wednesday night at the airport and we drive by their house here in town. Linda told me I’ll introduce you when he’s in the building. So after the morning rush had subsided and our hour lunch was over, she brought another visitor to meet me.

Barney’s a very interesting guy. He travels south to meet his son and goes on a couple of trips with him while his son conducts business. You can see the pride on the man’s face and near it in his voice when we were taking about him. Everything from his Halifax triumph to the first line position being held this year, he's a predator, actually a Nashville Predator. Barney invited me over to see the trophy room that remains in their family home. So Jordin, I hope you won your last game so your Dad‘s in a good mood when I get there.

I’m off to work shortly. Today will be easier than yesterday. The acting director has promised me that we “won’t work you as hard as we did today”. It’s a pleasure going in. I can’t remember a manager telling me that EVER!

There is an expression here that covers everything…That’s the north. My contract is still in Iqualuit. It might be in today. My coffee maker doesn’t work and a new one will be here soon. I’ll have my morning Java at the centre…too bad there’s not a Tim’s walk-through window on the way.

No comments: