Saturday, January 5, 2008

Saturday Shopping at the Northern





























The sun has been out all day and the wind has hardly been blowing. I decided this morning to head out to the Matchbox Gallery…didn’t make it. When I finally got organized and dressed for the weather, Cole and Julie from next door were out playing on a sled with the neighbour’s dog pulling it. So I checked out the directions and thought I would head down by the shore of the inlet first. I took some roads that I hadn’t before to try to get a daylight map in my head.

Got passed the Co-Op and found the CIBC, walked past the cop shop complex and ended up where all the barking was coming from. The dogs are penned down by the water. By the time I got down there and taking some shots along the way I thought I better get over to the Northern for my saturday shopping experience.

As I picked up some items for my cart I was checking out the prices. I started at the vegetables. I paid 1.35 for a lemon. I’ve been drinking tea all week so I thought I’d get one to have with it. Then I walked past the meat and then the frozen foods. I found a nice ham there smoked with bone in for about $45.00 and that wasn’t’ quite five pounds. Frozen foods were more interesting with Green Giant Select Valley vegetables, the 500g size, for $4.69. I left the ham for the next person, also the vegetables.

Had a look at the basics, flour and sugar, both way up there. Then, I decided to scout out the rest of the store down the ramp and into the pharmacy, hardware, clothing, shoes, appliances, outboard motors and furniture sections. The goose decoys on top of the new washer dryer combination was neat. For ice fishing, there was the “ESKIMO” brand power ice auger (33 cc) which will run you $639.

K-Mart in the states used to sell rifles so that wasn’t so different. But in the notions and materials area was something that really surprised me. The bundles of flannel used for those boots and leggings were there right alongside the fur pelts, yes tanned and ready to sew furs.

There hung arctic fox in white, silver fox in grey, and coyote along with a couple that I couldn’t identify since they weren’t labelled. The beavers came in small, medium, large, and extra large. Now you know. A silver fox goes for $259. An extra large beaver in this town can run you $189.99 …installation not included.

The sunset was visible from my second storey window at 3 p.m. It’s now 3:30 and its getting very dark. I haven’t used those sunglasses I packed yet. Today, I thought I knew the way home… I was wrong. I must have done an extra two or three miles. At least I was dressed for it, was warm and finally found my dwelling. My $3.69 dozen of eggs hadn’t frozen yet. How do you tell? I really don’t know but at least they hadn’t cracked.

Just finished baking chocolate chip cookies. A large glass of milk, a Martha Stewart Everyday Blanket, a few of those warm from the oven cookies and I’m ready for the NFL playoff games. Who cares if I get snowed in or called out. Hey, let’s not go that far!

No comments: