Saturday, January 5, 2008

If this is Saturday we must be in RANKIN INLET





































I must have been tired yesterday ‘cause when I woke up this morning at 915 I had almost missed the sunrise! My first thoughts when I opened my eyes were “It’s light outside! God what time is it?”

Neither the phone nor the pager went off after I got back at 7:30 or so. I haven’t been on call for I don’t know how long. It’s Saturday…my day off…sortoff…It’s too cold outside to wash the car…I don’t have a car and there doesn’t seem to be a carwash nearby…2 good reasons there. I do have to go and visit the coop store and grab their calendar. Also stop by the royal bank and see what my credit limit is before I head to the northern and look at those new hot snow machines…I’m sure Grace will enjoy going to work on one.

But at one o'clock, I have an appointment at the Matchbox Gallery with Jim’s associate. Jim is an artist, originally from NYC, who came here 30 years ago. I met him yesterday and he was quite knowledgeable about the area and Native art. He invited me to his shop. So I’ve got a tentative appointment there. I hope to be out of there by three so I can watch the sunset.

Yesterday I actually saw the sun rise for a moment before the clouds moved in and I got busy in the centre. I also saw the last 15 seconds of the Canada-US Junior semi final hockey game. I had tried earlier in the day to stream it on the internet at work but they had it blocked or too many were already there. I might have known it would have been on the TV in the main patient waiting area down the hall. Experience should have told me that one. I’m going to see if there is a gathering in town to watch the final..might be quite they show locally and on the tube as well.

I have some good news. My replacement coffee maker worked this morning so breakfast was more like home. I bought flax bread at the store the other night. It seemed the freshest to me and they was only a dollar difference. (I must be getting climatized!) Honey on fresh toast with hot coffee after orange juice started the mid-morning for me.

I’ll talk about my living quarters affectionately known to everyone as "the Barn" and post some shots of it later in the day, perhaps. But remember this is the North.

No comments: